The Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation retained the Pinkston Group to plan and execute an extensive two-year public relations campaign to promote the historic Ronald Reagan Centennial Celebration. In March 2012, the Reagan Centennial was awarded the PRWeek "Non-profit Campaign of the Year" Award.
To build awareness about the Centennial throughout 2010, our team coordinated media tours, sit-down briefings and conference calls with senior executives, producers and editors from all major TV networks, cable outlets and America’s most influential print publications to explain the importance of the celebration.
In addition, our support for the Centennial involved coordination and management for all Centennial events at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library and throughout the country. These included the anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall, The Ronald Reagan Traveling Exhibit (the first time the president’s artifacts have left the Library grounds in Simi Valley, CA), birthday events at the Library in February 2011, a series of international events, and the Republican presidential primary debate held at the Reagan Library in September 2011. The media coverage highlights of the campaign included:
- Two USA Today front-page stories about the Centennial and President Reagan and a stand-alone 47-page USA Today special Reagan Centennial edition
- Cover stories in Time, LIFE and Parade
- Feature profiles of President Reagan and the Centennial in The New York Times, the Washington Post, the Los Angeles Times, Associated Press,Financial Times and more
- Package pieces about the Centennial on all three network news programs; “NBC Nightly News,” “ABC World News Tonight” and “CBS Evening News” with Katie Couric.
- Live international broadcasts on NBC, CBS, Fox News Channel, CNN, C-SPAN, BBC and Sky TV during the 100th birthday celebration at the Library (Feb. 6) and a Ronald Reagan statue unveiling in London (July 4)
- Live onsite broadcasts of NBC's "Meet the Press" and CNN's "Situation Room" from the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library
The Pinkston Group also coordinated an extensive op-ed strategy that included commentary pieces from Reagan Foundation representatives and notable figures, such as Sens. Dianne Feinstein and Marco Rubio, former Sen. Fred Thompson, Rudy Giuliani and businessmen T. Boone Pickens and Steve Forbes. We placed these op-eds promoting Reagan’s legacy in several high-level outlets, including The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, the New York Daily News, the San Jose Mercury News, Orange County Register, the Dallas Morning News, National Review Online and others.
Other promotional events included:
- Reagan Youth Leadership announcement with singers Nick Jonas and Jordin Sparks
- A Super Bowl XLV Tribute on President Reagan's actual 100th birthday
- NASCAR, NFL, MLB and PGA partnerships
- A Centennial sponsored and winning car in Indianapolis 500
- A Centennial Rose Parade float
- Statue of President Reagan at Ronald Reagan National Airport in Washington, D.C.
For more information on the Pinkston Group's work on behalf of the Centennial, contact us.