The Pinkston Group is seeking a strategic and creative staff writer to collaborate with account managers (partners), executives and coordinators on day-to-day management of media campaigns for corporate, non-profit and/or political clients.
This position will work out of our Alexandria, VA office, and is a mid-level position with salary negotiable based on experience.
Please send cover letter, resume, writing samples and salary expectations with “Staff Writer” in the subject line to email@example.com. No calls, please.
Responsibilities and Duties
The Staff Writer is responsible for producing a wide range of written materials, including messaging guidelines, strategic plans, project memos, white papers, op-eds, press releases and media advisories.
Qualifications and Skills
This is a writing position... The ideal candidate must have experience in a wide range of writing styles and can demonstrate strong strategic thinking, a clear news sense and sharp eye for detail. The interview process will include a writing test.
The Pinkston Group’s client base is diverse, and includes companies, organizations and authors working in politics, health care, education, technology and numerous other fields. Applicants should be capable of learning and translating complicated ideas for general-interest audiences and should be comfortable writing for right-of-center organizations and causes.
An undergraduate degree in English, journalism, creative writing or related field is preferred but not required. Applications should demonstrate:
- At least two years of writing experience, candidates with a research background preferred
- Experience in a wide range of writing styles;
- Ability to balance multiple, diverse clients;
- Strong research skills and an ability to write on deadline;
- Initiative to self-start and problem-solve independently in a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to work well in a small team of public relations professionals;
- Strong editing skills, including a solid grasp of Associated Press Style
The Pinkston Group strives to foster a collaborative work environment. Adaptable, entrepreneurial individuals with broad skill sets and a desire to contribute and grow do well here.
We offer a fun and rewarding work environment and a competitive benefits package which includes:
- Medical and dental insurance with deductible 100% covered by company-funded HRA
- 401k retirement plan with 3% contributed by the company (no match required)
- Five paid volunteer days to contribute to a cause of your choice
- $50/mo compensation towards a gym membership